2009/11/04

Setting up a remote git project

I often find myself working on a quick hack, using a local git repository. Eventually, whatever I've hacked up becomes something I need to keep, and I want it in my remote git repository, with the local copy tracking the remote.

After setting this up manually several times, I finally got around to scripting it.

http://gist.github.com/225970

Assuming you've got a local git repo called 'myproject', and your current working directory is something like '/home/me/projects/myproject', then running this script will create a directory called 'myproject.git' on your remote git server, push your code to the remote repo and set the local copy to track it.

Don't forget to edit the script first to set the correct server name and main git directory, below which all your projects live.

The script assumes you're using SSH as the transport layer for git.